Tony:
I am glad you know of Ruth Allen. I was extremely impressed with her talents. Not only as a Singer/pianist but as a composer.
My oH my! can she write lyrics? Probably the best stuff I've heard since Cole Porter, she's widely admire by the likes of Michael Finestein and one of her songs was selected as part of the sound track for the HOME BOX OFFICE TV movie "THE REAL HOWARD SPITZ" a charming and funny family film starring TV's "Frazier" :- KELSEY GRAMMER. Two of Ruth's recordings are featured in the film: "WHO NEEDS SPRING?" with lyrics by Ruth and music by her brother Alan Berry and "AT LAST I HAVE SOMEONE" with words and music by Ruth.
Also, "RING OUT THE BOW BELLS" - a good old-fashioned Cockney musical, entirely written by Ruth - is to be recorded on an album later this year, as a forerunner to putting the show on stage! Celebrity guest singers are being approached now to participate. You can hear two of the show's seventeen songs on her CD "THE RUTH ALLEN SONG BOOK". They are: "WOULD I STILL BE ME" and "YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD".
Her present boy friend is a friend of mine and he invited my wife and I to the Manasquan country club here in New Jersey to join them for dinner where we had the time to get to know her. We did a few numbers together there while at the bar. She was wonderful and extremely gracious.
Her wev site: http://www.ruth-allen.co.uk
Regards,
Mario